Most people struggle with talking to others about God. Certainly, religion and faith are very personal and sensitive topics for people. Yet, God wants us to use our words to help others pursue him.
Random acts of kindness aren’t enough
There is a famous quote, “Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words.” This quote is usually attributed to St. Francis of Assisi, although this is debatable. The intentions of this quote are admirable. It’s trying to say, “Don’t just tell people about God’s love, demonstrate it through physical actions.”
However, many people have used this quote to get them out of talking about God and faith with others. Yes, we must show all people acts of compassion and love, but we also need to explain to them how to pursue God.
People need to hear about God from you
The Bible makes it clear that God has appointed you to tell anyone who will listen about God’s love for them.
Romans 10:14-15 But how can they call on him to save them unless they believe in him? And how can they believe in him if they have never heard about him? And how can they hear about him unless someone tells them? 15 And how will anyone go and tell them without being sent? That is why the Scriptures say, “How beautiful are the feet of messengers who bring good news!”
God isn’t going to send an angel, a prophet from heaven, or drop a special Bible from the sky in order to reveal himself to your friends. He wants to use you. You have the special privilege of introducing people to the God of the Bible, their Creator.
Now, how do you go about doing this?
People need to hear about what God has done in your life
Talking to people about God doesn’t need to be complicated. You don’t need to be a theologian or an expert on the Bible. Simply, tell people about your own pursuit of God. Listen to their stories, and then explain how you came to trust in Jesus.
Also, and this is really important, use the resources and discussion questions at PursueGOD.org. We have many articles and videos that can help spark a conversation. Invite your friends to watch a video, discuss it with them, and then talk through the discussion questions in order to connect the truths of the Bible with real life. Our resources can equip anyone to talk to others about a pursuit of God.
- Watch the video together or invite someone to summarize the topic.
- What is your initial reaction to this video? Do you disagree with any of it? What jumped out at you?
- What feelings are associated with the idea of talking about God and faith with your friends?
- How did you become a Christian? Did it involve someone talking to you about God? Explain.
- Read Romans 10:14-15. What is our role in helping people understand God’s love and the gospel?
- Who is someone you can have a conversation with about God? Pick a conversation from the library and share it with them.
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.