Death is a challenge. It is one of the most unpleasant aspects of life in this world. But Christians can have hope in the face of death. This is because Jesus has defeated death through his cross and resurrection.
Thinking rightly about death
1 Corinthians 15:26 And the last enemy to be destroyed is death.1 Corinthians 15:55 O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?
What happens when we die
Philippians 1:21-23 For to me, living means living for Christ, and dying is even better. But if I live, I can do more fruitful work for Christ. So I really don’t know which is better. I’m torn between two desires: I long to go and be with Christ, which would be far better for me.2 Corinthians 5:8 Yes, we are fully confident, and we would rather be away from these earthly bodies, for then we will be at home with the Lord.
What about grief?
1 Thessalonians 5:13 And now, dear brothers and sisters, we want you to know what will happen to the believers who have died so you will not grieve like people who have no hope.
Our ultimate destiny
Revelation 21:3-5 I heard a loud shout from the throne, saying, “Look, God’s home is now among his people! He will live with them, and they will be his people. God himself will be with them. He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death or sorrow or crying or pain. All these things are gone forever.” And the one sitting on the throne said, “Look, I am making everything new!”
- Watch the video together or invite someone to summarize the topic.
- What is your initial reaction to this video? Do you disagree with any of it? What jumped out at you?
- Death is still a normal experience for human beings. So in what ways has Jesus conquered death?
- Look at Philippians 1:21-23. Why would the apostle Paul say that dying is better than living?
- Thinking about Revelation 21:3-5, what elements of life after death are most appealing to you?
- Knowing what happens after death, why shouldn’t Christians just commit suicide?
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.