Watch the video above and talk about it with a group or mentor. Learn more.
Some people go to church just hear a pastor preach. But Jesus had more than this in mind.
- Jesus envisioned a church that actually makes a difference in the world. (Matthew 9:36.)
- Jesus wants to send out regular people to make an impact, not just pastors. (Ephesians 4:11-12.)
- You don’t have to feel qualified to be obedient to Jesus. (Matthew 28:19-20.)
Matthew 28:18-19 Jesus came and told his disciples, “I have been given all authority in heaven and on earth. Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.”
See Also: Church, Mentoring, Sermonlink
Talk About It
- What is your initial reaction to this topic? What jumped out at you?
- What do you think of when you hear the word “mentoring?” Have you ever had a mentor at school, in sports, or at work? Describe the relationship.
- Read John 1:43. Is it surprising to you that Jesus picked a bunch of fishermen as his closest disciples? Explain.
- Make a list of the activities you consider to be “normal” in the Christian life. Is disciple-making on that list? Have you actually ever done it?
- Read Matthew 28:19-20. Do you think the disciples felt qualified to become mentors? Do you feel qualified? Why or why not?
- Who personally helped you to pursue God? How did they do it?
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.
This is part of the Rethinking Church series. Click here for sermon resources.