This topic is adapted from the PursueGOD Video YouTube channel.
How You Spend Your Time Shows What You Care about
Think about your family. What do you spend the most time doing? Whatever that is, whether it’s sports, watching Netflix, hunting, or shopping, what you spend the most time doing means the most to you.
Make a Time Budget for Your Family
The best way to find out what your priorities are is to make a budget of your time. Break your life down into how many hours you spend doing everything: work, time with family, sports practices and games, entertainment, time with God, etc. If you’re truthful, you will get a pretty clear picture of what you spend the most time doing.
Evaluate and Adjust Your Priorities
Take time to evaluate what your time budget reveals. How did you do when you stacked other things up against God? How many hours in a week did God get compared to your other priorities? Don’t miss the point. This exercise is about opening your eyes to how much time you give to God. If you don’t like the results from your budget, make some adjustments. Add more personal Bible study time or a family devotional to your week. Show God that he matters to you by giving him more time in your busy life.
- Watch the video together or invite someone to summarize the topic.
- What is your initial reaction to this video? Do you disagree with any of it? What jumped out at you?
- What do you guess will take up most of your time in your budget?
- What do your priorities say about you?
- Read Joshua 24:14-15. What do you think this passage is saying? What are some things you can do to add more “God time” into your family life?
- Take time to make a time budget as a couple/family. Discuss the results and make the necessary changes.
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.