This topic is adapted from the LovedHappy YouTube channel.
Calling all young moms losing sleep obsessing over their child’s latest dilemma! Is there a secret to solving all their heartache? What can we truly give that will make all the difference? What advice would God give to us as we struggle to solve their challenges?
No matter what stage of life our children are in, challenges will come. Nowadays we focus on having the right answer for these challenges. We become fixated as we google remedies, seek advice from peers, search book after book, and endlessly pray for solutions. There are times when we are simply not in charge and cannot get results. Once we realize this, we can set aside the fixating and concentrate on the child’s emotional needs.
Presence, Patience, and Love
During this process we should avoid making our children feel that they need to be fixed or changed. Focus less on solving problems and more on giving love. Be considerate of their situation, showing love and compassion throughout the day. Imagine how much support our children will feel through these challenges when we are actively showing we are there and care for them.
Isaiah 49:13 “Sing for joy, O heavens! Rejoice, O earth! Burst into song, O mountains! For the Lord has comforted his people and will have compassion on them in their suffering”.
God has a heart full of compassion. He knows the trials our children are facing. Let us turn toward him. Through his example, we learn that he is not fixated on our problems. Instead, the Lord has a consistent presence in our life. His patience and love is never-ending. He is always available. God will give us the capacity to love our children the way they need to be loved. We are not perfect, but should strive to be more like him in our parenting. Offer your presence, patience, and love as God has offered it to you.
- Watch the video together or invite someone to summarize the topic.
- What is your initial reaction to this video? Do you disagree with any of it? What jumped out at you?
- Read Colossians 1:11-14. Supporting our children through their various challenges can be exhausting. How are we equipped to demonstrate great patience and endurance?
- What messages do you hope to send your children when you express patience and love? Why is it important to send these messages?
- Think of a specific challenge your child is facing. Brainstorm one act of love you can do today to show compassion for their needs. How does this one act of love uniquely help your child?
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.