When the Pharisees asked Jesus about the greatest commandment in the Law, he said to love God and love people as yourself. (Matthew 22:37-39). This also applies to our money. But most people budget backwards: loving themselves first, then others, and finally (sometimes) God.
So how can you turn it around? Take this simple 3-step challenge:
- Evaluate your giving. Write out a simple budget, and see where your giving to God ranks (tithes, offerings, missions, giving to PG, etc.)
- Move your giving up one notch. Wherever it stands, move it up. Don’t let it be at the bottom. Challenge yourself to give more to God that you do to your cable bill or your cell phone.
- Do it again next year. Keep moving your giving up one notch every year, until it’s at the top of your list.
Our budget is a dead giveaway to our priorities. Ask yourself the hard questions and take the challenge to step up your giving to God.
- Watch the video together or invite someone to summarize the topic.
- What is your initial reaction to this video? Do you disagree with any of it? What jumped out at you?
- How far down the list is your monthly giving? What is below it on your budget?
- How far up are you willing to move your giving? Do you think it’s realistic that it will ever be at the top of your list? Explain.
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.