Have you ever been faced with a decision in which you find yourself lost? You do not know which path to take or choice to make, and you may even wish someone else could make that decision for you. Bible Munch describes a five step decision making process that will help you make the right decisions biblically.
- Step one in the five step decision making process is to PAUSE. Proverbs 19:2 says “Desire without knowledge is not good, and whoever makes haste with his feet misses his way.” When making decisions, it is important to take a step back, pause, and avoid making fast decisions.
- The second step is to READ. Psalm 119:105 says “Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.” The Word tells us that the bible is a lamp to our feet! It is essential that we get God’s take on our situation and the decisions that we face. By seeking direction through God’s word, the path we take will be illuminated.
- Third, we must ASK. Decisions can be tough and they are even harder if we face them on our own. Get advice from reliable sources. This source could be a friend, a parent, or a pastor. Proverbs 15:22 tells us that “without counsel plans fail, but with many advisers they succeed.” Find reliable advisers and get their input!
- Next, YIELD. In Luke 22:42, Jesus declared “Not my will, but yours be done.” This shows us that it is important to yield to God’s will. Our will needs to yield to God’s will in all circumstances.
- The final step is part of all of the previous four steps, and it is to PRAY! Go to God in prayer while you pause, read, ask, and yield. As 1 Thessalonians 5:17 instructs us, “Pray without ceasing.” The acronym P.R.A.Y. can help us remember all four steps in the process and to incorporate prayer through it all!
Making decisions seems impossible at times, and we may find ourselves at a loss for which path to take or what decision to make. During these times, we can use the P.R.A.Y. steps to guide us in Godly decision making and ease our fears of making wrong choices.
- Watch the video together or invite someone to summarize the topic.
- What is your initial reaction to this video? Do you disagree with any of it? What jumped out at you?
- Describe a situation in which you had an important decision to make, but found yourself struggling to find the right choice.
- Do you typically find yourself making decisions quickly, thinking over all options before making decisions, or avoiding decision making altogether?
- In what ways do you think the P.R.A.Y. process will help you when making your next important decision?
- Why do you think it is important for us to include prayer in each step of decision making?
- Who is someone in your life that you would consider a reliable source to go to for advice while contemplating a decision? What makes them reliable?
- What was one thing from the video that you think will change the way you approach making decisions?
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.