Watch the video above and talk about it with a group or mentor. Learn more.
Is Jesus’s resurrection a myth or clever fable we’ve been told to believe, or is there evidence proving he really resurrected?
- #1 The Romans took extra precautions with Jesus’s body.
- #2 The changes in the disciples shows something significant happened.
- #3 Many people claimed to see Jesus after he was publicly executed.
- #4 Secular history confirms the church is ancient.
- #5 Jesus’s body was never found.
- It is reasonable to believe Jesus was resurrected.
When therefore the disciples began to preach the resurrection in Jerusalem and people responded, and when religious authorities stood helplessly by, the tomb must have been empty. The simple fact that the Christian fellowship, founded on belief in Jesus’ resurrection, came into existence and flourished in the very city where he was executed and buried is powerful evidence for the historicity of the empty tomb. -William Lane Craig
See Also: Apologetics, Resurrection, Skeptics
Talk About It
- What is your initial reaction to this topic? What jumped out at you?
- Why do some people refuse to believe in the resurrection of Jesus Christ? Do you know someone who refuses to believe it, or does this describe you? Explain.
- Is it reasonable to believe the apostles stole Jesus’s body? Is it reasonable to believe the apostles lied about Jesus being resurrected? Explain.
- Explain the difference between testifying to what you’ve seen and testifying to what you believe. How does this apply to the birth of the church? How does it apply to your life?
- Jesus was crucified in 33 A.D. Non-Christian authors writing in the first and second centuries and later historians record that Christians existed in the Roman Empire no later than 64 A.D. If we include the Bible’s testimony, Christians existed in the Empire no later than 33 A.D. What are some important takeaways from these facts?
- Why would the Roman and Jewish leaders in Jerusalem, who killed Jesus and wanted to suppress his teaching, not show Jesus’s dead body to the city once the church started exploding?
- Even if all this evidence provides reasonable grounds to believe Jesus truly was resurrected, is faith still required of us? Explain.
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.