Watch the video above and talk about it with a group or mentor. Learn more.
Living as a Christian changes our identity, but it doesn't usually happen overnight. Try these three steps if you're struggling.
Colossians 3:1-3 Since you have been raised to new life with Christ, set your sights on the realities of heaven, where Christ sits in the place of honor at God’s right hand. Think about the things of heaven, not the things of earth. For you died to this life, and your real life is hidden with Christ in God.
See Also: Depression, Habits, Identity, Sermonlink
Talk About It
- What is your initial reaction to this topic? What jumped out at you?
- For those of you who wear glasses-how did you come to realize you needed glasses?
- Read Colossians 3:1-4 and share why you think God wants us to set our sights on God and heaven and not of the things on the earth? How come it is so easy to forget about heaven?
- Make a list of where you think that most people go first to get help. Then Read Psalm 121:1-2 and share where the psalmist thinks we need to go and why.
- Read Colossians 3:5-9 and share from this list why it is so difficult to stop these actions.
- Share what you think about this quote by John Owens, “Be killing sin or sin will be killing you.”
- Consider the 10 sinful responses to sin. Which one best describes your typical response to sin, and why?
- Read Colossians 3:10. By putting on your new identity in Christ, you also put on his new power and presence in your life. Why do you think this is so important for the Christian?
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.
This is part of the Enough series. Click here for sermon resources.